Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jyne Sol and Sirus Wraith: Foreword

Foreword:

Since late middle school and early high school I have been creating stories in my head regarding two characters: Jyne Sol and Sirus Wraith.  Their adventures have always remained safely in the confines of my thoughts (especially before bedtime because concocting adventures put me to sleep) except for a few times now and again when I would tell bits and pieces of it to other people.  But recently I decided that since I have a blog now, why not share the story?

Jyne Sol and Sirus Wraith are characters that I made that represented different parts of my personality.  I created these characters and their adventures because, at that time in my life, I (a) found Taoism (b) had a lot of personal drama going on and (c) really really liked fantasy (looking back retrospectively I think it was because I didn't like my own reality, so I made up my own).  It was a way of, in a sense, coping with my cold hard reality at the time.

Looking at the characters I made, I was extremely influenced by Taoism.  Jyne Sol is a character who represents the yang characteristics: Bright, active, headstrong, loud, fiery, and wears a lot of symbols relating to the sun.  Sirus Wraith, on the other hand, is the opposite and represents the more yin characteristics: Dark, quiet, cold, passive, and wears clothing reflecting the night.  Originally, it started with the creation of Jyne Sol; she was the person I envisioned myself to be.  But because of a great deal of personal drama in my life, Sirus Wraith was created.  I needed another 'alter ego' to replace Jyne because some where along the way I had lost what made me identify with Jyne Sol.  Looking back on it now, I guess it was a good that I had both characters; it made me whole in a way.  I believe that part of being human is acknowledging all parts of yourself not just the warm and fuzzy bits.  And so, even though I didn't know it at the time, I was striding towards becoming more well rounded and well.....real.

What makes these characters firmly entrenched in the genre of fantasy is the background of their existence.  Jyne Sol is the guardian and leader of the realm of Wisen, a continent where only the winged are allowed to inhabit.  The other continents in this world are Mortalia, the human realm, and Shadieve, the realm of the shadows.  There are several races in this world: the winged (of which there are 3 types), the humans, the shadows (more than one type), the gods, and the elders.  All aspects of my fantasy are inspired by my experiences as well as represent different parts of my life (whether it be places I'd like to go, animals I love, people I've met...etc).

I have decided to starting creating the story, and I will write the different parts on this blog as chapters of the story.  I apologize ahead of time if the chapters are a bit disjoint, but again, writer's privilege - YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment